Monday, January 28, 2008

Kick in the Ass

I start speaking and the timer jumps and I got three minutes to show everyone else up and thats the way a lot of people look at it
Strictly speaking this is a competition, its designed as a poet's test to grind out the rest into the audience to watch the second round progress into the best
Which is to say that it usually loses me before the final three
And maybe its because there's a lot of people out there that don't like what I write or the way I usually perform in an aggressive tone or how I'm making a second grade effort right now to make this piece rhyme or at least flow
But I started doing this shit because of I had something to say and I'd bet everything I own that there's at least one person here today that has never slammed before but everytime they hear it they get a feeling in their gut and an urge to step up but they haven't yet
So those of you out there, you know who you are, pay very close attention to my words
What the fuck are you waiting for?
For this brief period of time this mic is mine, but once I walk off it could be yours
Thats not intended to be a challenge to you, its an invitation
I want you to bring in those pieces of paper you've been hiding in your desk drawers
It doesn't matter if its another piece about someone that broke your heart or your day at work or how much you love bacon
Cause you need to stop thinking that the only poetry that matters is the stuff that tries to change the world
I'm tired of people crying about a personal revolution, its not going to fucking happen
And yeah, that sounds great, but if you really wanted to make an impact you wouldn't just be spitting words at locals in a bar, so what are you really writing for
Yourself or a high score
So don't dare mistake this as some kind of plea to shake up the slam or a request to be your inspiration and become your best friend
Cause there's a very good chance that I could think your poetry sucks
But keep in mind I'm also an ass because I don't have the tact to be anything other than honest in every aspect
So you can trust I'm speaking the truth when I say that I respect every person that has the guts to get up and share their stuff with a crowd thats going to judge you
Now this is your kick in the ass, cause some of you need it
I know I did, and if any of you need the same kind of push that I got we can exchange numbers after this and I can fuck you over too
And you can come back here every week with a new piece trying to be better than me till it wears off and you quit writing like you got something to prove
You can learn the same lesson that I did, stop trying to earn a place, and just say what you want to say
Fuck the scores, fuck your fears, and fuck anyone that might have anything negative to relay about your performance up here
I'm not going to blow smoke up your ass or wipe your tears, but if you come talk to me afterwards I'll shake your hand and see you next week

No comments: